Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Menu

For many years we have hosted a NYE party with lots of real fireworks as they are legal in our state. I have prepared many menus but for tonight, I decided on a sort of Steak and Stein night. It was and may still be a restaurant near my hometown. As a child my parents served this dinner to celebrate their anniversary which is Dec 29th. So in a tribute to them I decided to use that sort of menu for tonight. It's fairly easy but requires a bit of prep but is totally kid friendly. In part, it's a salad and baked potato bar with some sort of grilled meat(s). As a child we always had a whole tenderloin and what a treat to grill in the snow and bring the smell into the cold house to warm it up with loads of cheer. It was always a very special day for us all. I mentioned I was one of 7 and as a child to have the choices to make a salad and baked potato just the way I like it was a treat enjoyed me and my family. So to you Mom and Dad a belated happy 58th!!!
Salad 2 bowls, Romaine and Spinach leaves. Toppings to include, Crumbled Feta, Crumbled Blue Cheese, Black Olives, Green Olives, Grated Carrots, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Sliced Peppers, Crispy Onions, Crispy Bacon Bits, (and whatever else you like). For vegetarians, add things like Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Black Beans and Chick Peas. I'll have 5-6 different salad dressing. For the Potatoes, I'll bake small Russets and Sweet Potatoes, with Butter, Sour Cream, Chives, Cinnamon, Grated Cheddar. Of course all salad/potato bar items are interchangeable! Will will grill either a 1 1/2" thick Sirloin or a Tenderloin and I'm roasting a 5-6 Lb Hen since we will have lots of children. These will both be sliced ahead and served with Rolls. I'll serve sauteed mushrooms in brandy and will have some horseradish cream for the steak. For the Stein, serve a variety of beer. Once I get it set up, I'll post a picture! Happy New Year!!

No comments: