Saturday, June 5, 2010

Egg Salad Sandwiches

The other day, I called my son for lunch and before I got back to the kitchen, he was already eating the presentation plate I photographed!  Lucky for me I was done taking pictures.  'Tis true, we eat with our eyes and he ate it all but one tomato slice.  The next day he wanted "the same sandwich he had for lunch yesterday".  That's my strong and growing boy!  He is not the best carnivore, yet, so protein has to come in other ways! 
Hard cook 1 1/2 Eggs per person by adding eggs to a pan, covering with cold water and cooking for 18 minutes after coming to a simmer.  I like to cook my eggs until just done and a pretty yellow color with no green.  Immediately, dump some of the water and add cold water until the eggs cool down.  Keep doing this until they are cool enough to handle.  Peel and rinse to further cool.  Looking at an egg slicer, you'll see you can cut eggs in 2 directions.  Cut in 1 direction and rotate 90 degrees and cut in the other direction.  Place in a bowl.  Add about 1/2 Tbl Mayonnaise per Egg, 1/2 tsp Mustard per Egg, Freshly Ground Pepper, and a few dashes of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce per egg.  Fold together gently with a rubber spatula until combined.  Don't over mix.  You be your own judge but I don't feel you need any salt for mustard tends to be salty.  If you need more of any ingredients, add them slowly tasting with a clean spoon after each addition.  It's nice to get it right the first time, otherwise the mixture gets too over mixed and looks like deviled egg filling.  Place in refrigerator and serve cold! 
Pictured, I cooked 2 strips of Bacon per Sandwich and served on soft onion rolls.  For a busy night, make this ahead, have the kids set up a buffet, and let everyone serve themselves.  You can offer Jumbo Olive slices, too.  I got that from my room mate in Atlanta who made her egg salad that way.  Thanks A!  I was never a fan of celery or onion in my egg salad but here's a chance to offer it.  Thinly slice red onion and dice celery and let everyone add their own.  Very budget friendly while pleasing all, small or tall!

No comments: