Friday, October 19, 2012

Delicious Baked Beans

This summer I was in NY for an extended stay.  On one of the nights, my sister baked beans and I slow roasted ribs.  What a great meal!
Tonight it is finally "cool" and the humidity is low.  The guys are fishing in one of our ponds.  As the sun goes down we are going to light up the limbs I collected after Isaac blew in.  I have hotdogs and buns to cook over the fire.  Dessert is going to be S'mores.  The beans are really healthy and can easily be changed up to suit a vegetarian.  To my sister C, I took the liberty to make a little change.  I added 1 heaping tablespoon of stone ground mustard and I switched to apple cider vinegar from white vinegar.  I just love everything about these!

Baked Beans Recipe:
Preheat oven to 350.  Cut 1/2 lb Bacon into 1/2" cubes and cook until just about done.  Dice 1 Small Onion and add it to the bacon and cook together.  While that is going, open cans, strain and rinse, and place in a bowl.  I used all Bush's Brand and they come in 15 or 16 oz cans.  1 Can Black Beans, 1 Can Red Kidney Beans, 1 Can of Butter Beans.  To this add 1 Can of your favorite Baked Beans.  I like the Bush's Boston Recipe and it was a 29 oz can.  To this mixture, add 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, 1/2 Cup Ketchup, 1 Heaping Tbl Stone Ground Mustard, and 2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar.  Add the cooked Bacon and Onion and stir to combine.  Add to a casserole dish with a lid.

Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour stirring a few times.  This can be assembled in the morning and if you work, have a family member get the oven on and bake it so it's ready at dinner time!  For vegetarians, omit the bacon and use vegetarian style baked beans.  Great with fried or roasted chicken, ribs, or hotdogs over an open fire!

No comments: