Saturday, November 21, 2020

Apple (Open Slab) Recipe Mash Up

When making Apple recipes, there's no better place than going to the source - Alsace.   So maybe it's taken me 30 years to make this again but I plan this time to Mash It Up with an apple checkerboard design I saw on Cloudy Kitchen in the Open Slab Dessert.  (NOTE I don't know Cloudy Kitchen's background but the photography and the presentations are always professional looking).  The blog format is similar to mine, in that you get a bit of background and you have to actually READ the recipe.  I chose a similar format because all of my kitchen mishaps over the years were due to not reading the recipe in full, twice is even better.  I'm not too crazy about Frangiane filling so that's where the Mash Up comes in.  I made an Alsatian Apple Tart from Food and Wine 1991, yep 29 years ago and loved it.  But I want the apple design and plan to use a small sheet pan instead of a tart pan that Cloudy Kitchen shows.  

So for Thanksgiving 2020, this Mash Up is one of my desserts.  I normally bake a deep dish Apple Pie so I'm changing it up, you know why not.  Everything else is changed up so why not my Thanksgiving dessert.

DOUGH- Ahead of time - a day or 2 ahead, knock out the dough.  You'll be glad you did.  Bake the dessert either on Wednesday or first thing Thursday morning if you have an extra oven.  I'm opting for making the dough on Tuesday and baking on Wednesday.  The dough takes all of 10 minutes.  I'm making 1 1/2 times the original recipe because I'm using a sheet pan not a tart pan and I want enough dough.


In a processor, measure just shy of 2 Cups of Flour, 1/2 tsp Salt, 1 1/2 TBL Sugar.  Pulse a few times.  Add 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter cut into 1/2" cubes.  Pulse until it resembles course meal.  Sprinkle mixture with 4 1/2 TBL Cold Water and pluse until dough forms.  Use more water, 1 tsp at a time, if needed.  Don't over mix.  

Place dough on plastic wrap and press into a rectangular shape.  Wrap tightly and refrigerate.  


BAKING- Remove dough from refrigerator 30 minutes in advance of rolling.  My pan is 13" x 9" and has relatively straight sides.  It is very sturdy and won't twist when baking.  Roll into a large enough rectangle that it fits into the sheet pan with some over hang.  If it too big trim the excess but fold under the extra dough and crimp using you knuckles.  It's ok if some ares are slightly thicker than others.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400.  Lightly prick the bottom and sides of the dough and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden.   

Buy either Cortland or Golden Delicious Apples.  Prep Apples.  Peel and using a knife, cut the tops and bottome making a flat surface.  Cut downward along the core, cutting 2 apple domes, 1 from each side.  Lay the flat side downward on a board and cut apples into 1/8" slices.  Arrange each dome on the crust in a shingled fashion rotating each apple by 90 degrees to create a checkered-board pattern.  In a medium bowl, mix (2) 7oz Containers Cream Fraiche, 3/4 Cup Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla and pour over the apples.  Sprinkle with Cinnamon and optional 2/3 finely Chopped Walnuts.  Bake for 25-35 minutes until the filling is set and apples are cooked.  Serve warm or at room temperature with Freshly Whipped Cream or good quality Vanilla Ice Cream.






No comments: