Saturday, January 14, 2023

Focaccia

During our lockdown I spent a lot of time watching Netflix series I never had time to watch.  Salt Fat Acid Heat was one of them.  I think it was when Samin ventured to Italy that I really perked up.  My Mom had always spoken fondly of Italy and it made me feel connected to her food experience.  Samin also learns a pesto made by hand in this episode and I've made it that way and it is delicious. 

The thing I've made most often though is the Focaccia that she learned to make.  Samin's Italian, admitedly, isn't fluent and once she gets back home she has to interpret what she was taught and convert from a bit of this and 3 handfuls of that to actual measurements.  So knowing that going in, there is no exact way to make this recipe but just get to one that works. You'll need to make adjustments to your recipe til it works in your kitchen so keep good notes.  More than likely you'll have success right off the bat.  

The pan, it's crazy but the guy in the video uses a weird pan that looks older than the hills.  I happen to have a thick sided sheet pan that is it's own unique size and so I've made this recipe to fit that pan.  My sheet pan is larger than what I've wanted to make unless I am entertaining.  This pan allows for good straight vertical rising, I get a browned bottom and my dough seems to have plenty of holes and it just delicious.  I find the ultimate sucess is when I eat food while inspecting it after every bite.   

Knowing no Italian, I must have watched her episode 5 times with multiple pauses and rewinds with each watching to try to grasp the steps the Italian gentleman made.  Before I attempted it, I found just that bite of the episode on youtube watched it over and over.  With each time I've made it, it has turned out better and better.  

Focaccia is a perfect compliment to any meal.  It can even be an appetizer as you entertain your arriving guests served simply with an olive variety.  It certainly is a show stopper.  One thing for sure is that it's success is reliant partly on the quality of the Olive Oil so go big. 

To begin, make a quick yeast dough.  Stir together in a large bowl 1/4 Cup Warm Water (around 90 degrees)  with 2 tsp Yeast and let sit for 5 minutes til it begins to bubble.  If it's a really cold day, warm your bowl under warm water to remove the chill.  Dry the outside of the bowl and begin from there.  Next add 




No comments: