Monday, November 16, 2009

Flat Bread Recipe

I was watching TV recently and Tyler Florence (whom I like very much) was making a Moroccan dinner. He made a flat bread on his grill pan. He was able to get dough from a local pizza place, a convenience of living in NY. I actually tried to get dough from the Fresh Market and though the butcher went way beyond the call of duty trying to help me, in the end I made my own. You can make this by hand but I used my mixer fitted with the dough hook.
For the dough, warm mixing bowl first using hot water during cold months. Add 1/4 Cup Warm Water (approx 105 degrees), 2 Pinches of Sugar and 1 1/2 tsp Yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until frothy. Place bowl on stand. Add 3/4 Cup Water (approx 105 degrees), 1 Tbl Sugar, 1 Tbl Olive Oil and begin adding flour 1/2 cup at a time. You will need at least 3 cups of flour and it will vary greatly depending on where you live. After adding 2 cups of flour, add 1 tsp Kosher Salt. Continue adding flour until the dough forms a ball. It should be slightly sticky to the touch. Continue kneeding for 10 minutes until soft and a bit stretchy. Add to an oil rubbed bowl that has tall sides. Flip dough over so the outside is completely covered in oil. Cover with a damp towel and let sit in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size. When ready, cut into small pieces that when rolled to 1/4" will fit on your grill pan. I have a sqaure pan so this recipe made about 6-7 flat breads. Heat pan over medium high heat. Roll out dough as you go. Brush generously with Olive Oil and top with seasoning and a sprinkle of Kosher Salt. I made 3 flavors, Barbeque Shrimp Seaoning, Thyme and Oregano. I think Rosemary would've been good, too. You decide, depending on what you are serving. The Barbeque seasoning and the Thyme tied for first as a compliment to the Paella. Place on hot pan, seasoning side down and brush with oil and season the other side. When browned, turn and cook the other side. Place between clean cloth napkins to keep warm and keep from getting soggy. Serve Warm.

No comments: