Saturday, February 26, 2011

Buttery Bleu Cheese Spread with Toasted Walnuts

My Mom used to love to serve a yummy niblet with a cocktail when she entertained.  I visited once and she serve this dip.  When I asked her about the recipe she told me she got the recipe while visiting me.  Years later, when I made my kitchen cook book from magazine recipes, I came across this in a Southern Living issue and clipped it out.  I have made it a few times, but lately have had a hankering for bleu cheese.  It's simple to put together and it freezes well, especially if your have a ramekin or something you may want to serve it in.  I made a few changes to the original recipe.  I like toasted nuts with blue cheese and I reduced the butter and cream cheese in half to accent the bleu cheese flavors.  The crumbled Bleu Cheese I bought comes in a 5oz container so I decided to use it all though the recipe calls for 4 oz.  Additionally, the recipe calls for chives but I have scallions, so for today, that's what I'll use.  Note, the sherry is optional.  I used it and it is delicious!
In a bowl with a hand mixer, quickly combine, 12 oz softened Cream Cheese, 1/4 C. softened Butter, 5 oz Crumbled Bleu Cheese, 1/2 C. Rough Chopped Toasted Walnuts, 2 Tbl. Thinly Sliced Scallions, 2 Tbl Sherry.  Put spread in a serving bowl or a ramekin if freezing.  Serve with sliced Apples or sliced Pears, Crackers or a sliced toasted Baguette, Crackers or Pretzels.  Also, can be used as a compound butter served on steak such as a sliced Sirloin Steak or with Baked Pototoes.  Bon Apettit!!

No comments: