Sunday, October 27, 2013

Skinny Cado

If you like avacado, you may want to switch from the smaller nubby Haas variety to the larger and slightly more expensive Florida Avacado.  It turns out, the Florida Avacdo has 1/3 less fat for the same size portion.  I feel it has a slightly milder flavor.   They are larger than the Haas Avacado, so you get more to work with, per piece of fruit.

I love to serve sliced Avacado when we have fajita night or if I am serving a dinner salad as a meal.  Also, when ripe, it is slightly firm so it holds up well.  I normally slice out exactly the wedges I plan to eat, leaving the seed in place to keep the fruit from oxidizing.  If you are serving it on a buffet, you can squeeze and lightly toss with either lemon or lime juice, to keep the color bright.  For storage, when I have only used a few wedges, I wrap it with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the flesh to reduce or slow oxidation.  I try to eat it within a the first few days of opening it. 

I find that eating Avacado (in moderation) when serving lighter fare, keeps me from returning to the kitchen a few hours later.  The fat is considered a healthy variety because it is monosaturated, similar to why Olive Oil is considered a good choice over vegetable oil.

Pictured, I ate these 4 slices on a Oven Roasted Turkey sandwich on Wheat Bread.  I used about 1 tsp of Mayonnaise and a small sprinkle of Kosher Salt directly on the Avacado.  It was delicious!!

No comments: