Thursday, March 13, 2014

Black and White Mustache Cupcakes

My son turned 12 today and he wanted cupcakes for school.  I made my favorite batter, Martha Stewart's One Bowl Chocolate Cake from her baking handbook, which made 35 cupcakes.  After that though, I had a hard time coming up with a theme for him.

Naturally, once I decided on mustache's, I couldn't find them at Michael's but I did find these cool cupcake papers that force the batter to rise taller than the muffin pan, so I snagged 2 packs of those.  I always like to buy a windowed box to make them easy for transport.  As a kid, we always used shoe boxes to bring treats to school.  Boy have times changed! 

Next, I was in Target and they had 3 packs of mustache's left so I bought 2 of them as well as black and white striped napkins.

I think of mustache's as a coming of age theme even though I personally feel coming of age is a few years away.  But this kid is 5'7" and wears size 12 shoes.  On top of that he feels he has earned the stripes of a full fledged independent adult even though I remind him constantly that he can't wake to his alarm.

We must be nuts but this birthday gift is a trip to the Miley Cyrus Bangerz Tour.  Boy, times have really changed!!

No comments: