Monday, September 13, 2010

Spaetzle

When I worked in Atlanta, I was surprised to see the Austrian Banquet Chef frequently serve spaetzle on large dinners, upwards to 1000 guests.  I don't think it's a common food in the US.  I learned quickly that I love spaetzle though!  I was at the Georgetown Dean and Deluca years later and found a home version spaetzle maker.  I paid about $15 for this cool gadget and I've had it since 1995.  I follow the simple recipe that came with the thing.  I have at times flavored my spaetzle dough with fresh dill depending on what I serve it with.
Boil a very large pot of water.  Salt the water after it has boiled.  In a bowl, measure 2 1/2 Cups Flour and 1/2 tsp Salt.  In a measuring cup, add 1/2 Cup Milk, 1/2 Cup Water and 2 Large Eggs.  Beat slightly.  Once water is boiling, add the wet ingredients to the flour and stir with a wooden spoon.  This makes a loose gooey batter.  Place the spaetzle maker on the pot of water.  Imagine this maker has a hopper and a cutter.  Add the dough to the hopper and move the hopper back across the cutter which allows the cut spaetzle to fall into the water.  The hopper has to stay over the pot, so you may not be able to make full lengths of the cutter but that will depend on the diameter of the pot.  Since the dough is raw, it cooks in about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes.  Once it floats it's done.
I like to drain it and place it in a flat bowl to help slow the cooking process.  Add 2 Tbl Butter and S&P to taste.  Some people like to then saute it in 1/4 Cup Butter and if making ahead that probably works great for reheating.  I don't need all the extra calories.  Serve immediately with Pork and Red Cabbage or Beets.

No comments: