Saturday, July 25, 2020

Quiche Lorraine

I always thought Quiche Lorraine was made with bacon and swiss cheese.  Turns out I'm incorrect.  It's a rich custard with only bacon and surprising, no cheese at all.  I've bought various quiches lately and am continually left thinking that they'd be better if I made the crust myself and filled them with what I want.  So when I set out to make a Quiche Lorriane, I referred to my 1000 Gourmet Recipes cookbook.  That's where I learned the truth about what it really is.  So I made my own crust but followed their recipe for the filling.
Make you favorite savory pie dough and let rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.  

Preheat oven to 375.  Roll out dough and line a pie dish.  Lightly prick the bottom and sides, without going all the way through the dough to the dish, to prevent shinking.   Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown then let cool.  

While the crust is baking, preheat a skillet over medium heat.  Cut into batons, 1/2 pound Thick Slab Bacon, and cook until just done.  Place bacon on paper towel lined plate to cool.  (You can cook it first and then crumble but I think the results are better if you cut then cook).  

In a bowl, mix the following.  (I buy only large eggs because that's what recipes call for).  4 Eggs, 2 Egg Yolks, 2 Cups Heavy Cream, 1 Cup Whole Milk, 1 tsp Salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground Nutmeg.   Pour egg mixture into cooled pie crust.  Top with all the bacon and cook for 35-40 minutes until just set but still wobbly in the center.  It will firm up as it cools.  If crust looks as if it will get too dark, have ready foil and fashion a ring and add it to the exposed crust for the last 10 minutes in the oven.  

Serve with a salad, vegetable side, and muffin or roll.  This makes a nice brunch, lunch or light Sunday super.  


No comments: