Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pizza made Simple

I don't care for the show, Semi-Homemade at all.  I don't think it's appropriate to cut all manner of corners then take credit for something a 4th grader could make, but that's my honest opinion.  I like to make pizza dough from scratch and if I don't plan ahead allowing for a double rise, I use this alternative to ordering a $20 pizza and waiting an hour for its delivery.  You will find Freshetta 4-Cheese Pizza in the freezer section of the grocery store anywhere from $4.50 on sale to $6.  DON"T get the pre-cut.  That has to be the stupidest thing, ...what..., now I can't pull out a pizza wheel and cut my pizza.  How lazy do these people think we are!?!  Not to mention, I accidentally got one 'pre cut' when I didn't know it and it made such a big mess on the floor of my Viking that I should've sent them a clean up bill!  On that night, I wished I had paid the $20. 
Getting back to business, the reason I like this particular brand is that it rises nicely but the trick is, you have to cook it frozen!  So with that, place pizza stone in the oven and thoroughly preheat to 400-425.  You will have to experiment with the exact temperature.  I preheat to just over 400.  In the meantime, place pizza on paddle and top with additional cheese if you wish to add it.  Then top with all of your ingredients. 
Here I used Fresh Spinach, A very thinly sliced Shallot, Grape Tomato Halves and Strips of Sweet Red Pepper.  Once done, drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with Kosher Salt.  I was having camera battery problems so I forgot to do this for the photo, but I normally sprinkle with Dried Oregano.  Place pizza on the stone and cook until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.  Let it cool for at least 5 minutes and slice and serve!
For other topping ideas, I regularly use Hormel Original PepperoniJohnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage (which I cook first), Sliced Onion (which I carmelize first), or whatever you have that you are in the mood for! 
Note, if you live in New York or New Jersey, disregard this entire post and order in!  It's one of the foods I miss most about living in the deep south!

No comments: