Sunday, December 16, 2018

Barbeque Shrimp meets Sushi

Using Pinterest, I saved a picture of something like this but when I went to review the recipe I got an error message.  This past Thanksgiving, while in the Outerbanks, we had an Asian inspired night and my sister, D, made something similar to what I had previously pinned.  

I hosted a party last night and did a mix of the 2 things I had in mind knowing all the while I would be blending the ingredients with New Orleans style Barbeque Shrimp seasoning.

This recipe made 20 stacks.  Cook 1 Cup Nishiki Rice as directed on the package.  Once done, place it into something like a large flat bottom bowl or platter so it can cool.  I like to use a flat bottom wooden salad bowl in order to give me a lot of surface area.  Dress the rice for Sushi sprinkling the following: Mix together 1 Tbl Rice Vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp Sugar, 1/2 tsp Salt.  Using 2 forks lightly toss until the seasoning is combined with the rice.

Using a total of 3 Avocados, mash 1 1/2 Avocados and dice 1 1/2 Avocados.  Add the juice of 1/2 Small Lemon, Salt and Pepper and 1/2 Cucumber, peeled and seeds removed then diced.  Mix together gently.  Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble.

Cook the Fresh Shrimp (in my case I cooked 24 of them) over medium heat in 2 TBL Butter.  Once almost done, add the Juice of the other 1/2 Small Lemon, 1TBL Worcestershire Sauce, 1-2 TBL of your favorite Barbeque Shrimp Seasoning.  Toss to coat and turn off heat.  

To assemble, I used a tall 2" round metal timbale mold.  Using wet fingers, press 1 1/2 to 2 Tbl Prepared Rice to the mold.  Continue making the rounds until the rice is gone.  Add desired avocado to the rice, top with a single shrimp.  

If you want a more refined look, you can also add rice again to the the top of the avocado and then remove it from the mold.   Then top that with a shrimp placed on its side and drizzled with the barbeque butter.  I thought this was plenty of rice for the very large shrimp I used.   For my first time, I thought this was quite tasty.  


No comments: