Sunday, October 21, 2018

Chocolate Macaroon Pie by Dorothy Kern

I would aptly rename this recipe Coconut Macaroon Chocolate Ganache Tart.  I think it more fittingly describes what you are making.  

This was one of those videos that floated around a few weeks ago that caught my attention.  I've now made it two weekends in a row but the 2nd time I made a few adjustments and I think it turned out extremely well!  My in-laws were visting last weekend so I made it for the first time for them.  My son had a friend over yesterday and rather than spend money on dessert, I told them to come home and make it for dessert to eat a few hours later.  I think my adjustments made it a keeper so I'm sharing it with you!!

Thank you Dorothy for yet another tart shell idea.  Tarts have to be one of my favorite things to make.  

So first off, I used a 10" tart pan and had way too much crust for the size pan.  I bought an 11" tart pan yesterday and it was perfect.  I also cooked it longer than the recipe stated because I wanted the tart shell to be a dark golden brown and slightly crunchy on the exterior while still being chewy in the middle.  Wow, this did it perfectly.  

The only thing I would add is either berries, for instance Raspberries, or any kind of toasted nut like Macadamia or Hazelnuts chopped up and topped atop whipped cream at serving.  NOTE: I topped the slices with whipped cream to order to cut the richness.

Let's get started.  Preheat oven to 350.

To a large bowl, measure 5 1/2 Cups Coconut.  Add to it 2/3 Cup Flour and 1/2 tsp Salt.  Mix to coat the coconut.  Add (1) 14oz Can Sweetened Consensed Milk and 2 tsp Vanilla and mix until combined.  Press into the tart pan using floured fingers.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.

With 5 minutes to go, make Ganache.  In a heavy bottomed pot, Heat 1 Cup Heavy Cream until it's about to boil NOTE: Don't let it boil.  Remove from heat and add 12oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate, I used Nestle's Chips.  Stir until the chocolate is melted and completely combined.  When shell comes out of the oven, pour in ganache.  Let cool for 5 or so and place in refrigerator.  

Serve once it sets up and can be sliced.  Top with whipped cream and chopped nuts.  Enjoy with hot coffee!




No comments: