Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brussel Sprouts and Pancetta

I don't know what the big fuss is over Brussel Sprouts! I never ate one until I was in my 30's but each year since, I include them somewhere along the way. To me if they are done right they have a bit of a similar flavor to fresh artichoke hearts. A few years ago, I came across a Bobby Flay episode and he was making this dish. I later jotted down what I thought I saw him do. I thought it would be great holiday vegetable. When I host Christmas Dinner I like to serve 3 vegetables, I make 1 very simple for the children and a few that blend flavors so this is perfect. Now is the time to make this dish since the Brussel Sprouts are in high season! Go to the deli counter and have them cut 4 slices of Pancetta 1/4" thick. Clean 1- 1 1/2 Lbs Fresh Brussel Sprouts by trimming the stem and remove any dark green tough outer leaves. Cut in half and rinse. Dice Pancetta to 1/4" squares or there abouts. Heat empty sautee pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tbl UnSalted Butter. Once melted, add Pancetta and cook til just getting crispy. Rinse Brussel Sprouts so a bit of water remains and add to hot pan. Sautee together until the Sprouts are tender. Add S&P to taste but go very easy on the salt. I think this dish needed a splash of lemon so just before placing on a platter for serving, toss with a quick Squeeze of Lemon Wedge. Instead of lemon and salt, you can also garnish with parmesan cheese. Happy meal planning!

No comments: