Friday, July 1, 2011

Baby Back Ribs

I really like to roast ribs in the oven because they come out extremely tender.  The other night I racked my brain to create something new as either a dry rub or a glaze. I came up with this wonderful glaze.  Truly my creation.

Often when I tell my husband "I made it up", it's code for, 'you won't see this again, because I didn't write it down'.  When he tasted these ribs, he told me he hoped I had recorded what I did... which I did.   I admitted to him that they smelled good in the oven and that I had photographed them just in case they tasted good.  Normally if I think a made up recipe will be a success, I write down what I did and snap a few photos.  If I don't, not only will I forget I made something but I surely won't remember what I did. So with that, here goes.

These will cook for about 2 hours depending on the thickness of the ribs.  Mine were on the meaty side.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line a sheet pan with heavy duty aluminum foil.  Rinse and pat dry a rack of ribs.  Grind Pepper over the ribs and add a very small sprinkle of Kosher Salt.  Place ribs in the oven on the center shelf.

For the glaze, using a 1/2 package of dry Good Seasons Garlic Cheese (as in the Salad Dressing dry mix), add 2 Tbl Honey, 1 tsp Soy Sauce (for gluten free, use gluten free soy), 1 tsp Water, 1 Tbl Stone Ground Mustard such as Zatarain's.  Mix together.  This should make a runny paste.

After 1 hour and 20 minutes brush some of the glaze on the ribs and return to the oven.  Reduce oven temperature to 325.  After another 20 minutes, glaze again and return to the oven.  They should be done at the end of 20 minutes.  Let rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

The above will work just fine and I encourage it.  Honestly, the exact way I cooked these is that,  I had to leave in the middle of cooking dinner.  I know, crazy, happens all the time!  If you are like me, maybe this method fits into your busy schedule when you have to leave briefly.  I turned the oven off after the second glazing and headed off to my son's guitar lesson.  We got home about 45 minutes later.  The ribs were hot and fall off the bone tender!!  If you understand cooking, you can leave things at the right moment and come back home and they are perfect.  Try it and see!  Happy 4th of July and happy summer!!

No comments: