Thursday, June 30, 2011

Simple Summer Potato Salad

Every once in a while I taste something that is simple and delicious and perfect for the time of year.  On previous summertime visits, my sister-in-law J has whipped up a potato salad that is just that.  This week, I had a hankering for the flavors I recalled, so I made it and now I can share it with you.



What I like best is that this potato salad has no mayonnaise and is perfect for an outdoor affair since nothing will spoil.  In fact, I think the flavors are more prominent if it isn't served cold so room temperature is the coolest I would go.  With that in mind, here's what I did.

Wash and quarter a 3lb Bag of  Small Red Potatoes, if some pieces are big, cut them in half.  Cover with cold water and cook over medium high heat at a gentle boil until the potatoes are tender but keep their shape when stabbed with a fork.  Once done, rinse in cold water to prevent further cooking.  Place in a flat bottomed bowl.  Drizzle with 1/3 Cup Olive Oil and toss to coat.  Add 2 Tbl Red Wine Vinegar and stir gently.  Season with 1 Tsp Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Pepper and Fresh Dill Leaves removed from their stems.  I like to combine fine and coarsely ground peppers for this dish.  In the end, you want it to taste good so feel free to taste a potato as you add seasoning.  If your plans for this July 4th are a picnic or barbecue, consider this simple potato salad as a side dish.

No comments: