Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pecan Crisps

I just love this little cookie!  It smells like Christmas to me!!  My mother used to make these and I forgot all about them until she made them one time that I visited a few years ago.  When she opened the tin, I could just smell the chocolate and nuts.  They are small, shinny on top, and very crispy.  A bonus is if you have a special diet, they are gluten free!!

In a thick bottomed sauce pan, add 1/2 Stick Butter and 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar.  Over medium heat stir until the sugar melts.  It should only bubble along the edge.  Add 1/2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate and remove from heat.  Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.  Add 1 Cup Finely Chopped Pecans and stir to combine.  Add 1 tsp Vanilla and 1 Egg and stir until combined.  It should appear a bit like a glossy paste.

Preheat oven to 350.  Foil line 4 sheet pans and lightly butter the foil.  Drop 1 tsp of batter leaving space between the cookies.  They will spread to be about 2" in diameter so leave enough space.  I stagger my rows 3, then 2, then 3, etc.  I get 13 on a sheet pan.  If you don't own 4 sheet pans, throw away the foil and let the pans cool completely before beginning again. 

These bake for 8-10 minutes.  It's easy to burn chocolate cookies.  Once they become fragrant, they are just about done and can only bake for another 30-60 seconds.  These are supposed to cool in the refrigerator but I normally slide the foil, cookies and all, onto my granite counter and it works just fine.  They crisp up once cool.  Store, once cooled, in an airtight container. 

No comments: