Friday, December 21, 2012

Pecan Tassies

This is a wonderful recipe from Cooking Light, November 2000.  I have to admit though, I don't have fat free Cream Cheese nor Fat Free Milk in the house, and whoops, I doubled the Butter, so mine aren't exactly "light" however they are delicious just the same.  You can reduce calories by substituting both or even 1 of them.  These take a little time to make because of the handy work but they make a perfect 24 and I consider that a good quantity.  Invest in a good quality mini muffin tin with 24 cups for times like these.  Mine is a work horse.

What I love best about these is they are small.  I would much rather have a variety of mini desserts of different shapes and tastes, so this will blend well on my cookie tray for the night my father arrives for a Christmas visit.  We get back from the airport at around 6pm so everything will be made in advance.  I am planning on Chicken Tetrazzini, fresh Cranberries, plus Christmas cookies.

Here is the recipe.  My addition is that I add 3 Semi Sweet Chips to each Cup for a taste of chocolate.  I lightly greased each of the cups of my mini muffin pan with Crisco but you can use a cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350.

For the Crust.  On low speed, blend 1/2 Stick Softened UnSalted Butter (the original recipe called for 2 Tbl of butter)  with 2 oz Softened Cream Cheese.  Add 2 Tbl Milk, a Pinch of Salt, and 1 Tbl Sugar and blend on medium speed for about 30 seconds.  Add 1 Cup of Flour and blend on low until it comes onto a ball.  Remove the dough from bowl, divide into 24 pieces and roll each into a ball.  Flatted each ball with a rolling pin to get it started.  Beginning with the center pinch until you have a disk approximately 3" in diameter.  Place in each of the cups and pinch against the side of the cup making sure it comes to the top.

Next, add 3 Chocolate Chips to each cup.  Finely chop a generous 1/3 Cup Pecans with a sharp knife.  Add about 1/2 tsp to each cup.  For the filling, mix together, 1/3 Cup Corn Syrup, 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1/8 tsp Salt, 1 Egg and 1 Egg White.  Using a wire whip, stir to combine.  I used my 2 tsp scoop and filled until the nuts were covered but if you don't have a scoop, use a teaspoon.  At the end you shouldn't have any filling left.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they become fragrant and are golden brown.  Serve on a try with a mini dollop of Whipped Cream or with a dusting of powdered sugar.  Awesome with hot coffee!

No comments: