Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Mushrooms Marsala with Fresh Pasta

This idea goes back a few years ago when I entered some sort of dish into a cooking competition.  That dish inspired me to make this dish.  The thought has been swimming around in my head and I am just getting around to making it for today's lunch.
Last week, I made pasta sheets for my Roasted Eggplant Lasagne and when I was done, I rolled the extra dough into sheets.  I have mushrooms in the refrigerator and thought it would be tasty to make Mushrooms Marsala and arrange the mushrooms on cooked squares of pasta to create a loose stack.  To top it off, I'll add a light dusting of Fresh Parsley and Parmesan Cheese.
This is my recipe for Mushrooms Marsala.  Get a large pot of water on high for cooking the pasta.  If you are using dried lasagne sheets, cook them before cutting them into squares.  Of course, you can always serve this over a dried pasta shape of your choice.  And better yet, if you make pasta, then my all means make some.
First, wipe clean and slice thinly, 1 Pint of Bella Mushrooms.  In a small bowl, stir 2 Tbl Corn Starch with 1/4 Cup Beef Broth.  NOTE: For vegetarian, use Vegetable Broth.  Measure out 1/2 Cup Marsala Wine.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 Tbl Olive Oil and 1 Tbl Butter.  Add mushrooms and saute them quickly.  Deglaze the pan by stirring in the 1/2 Cup Marsala Wine and continue cooking for about 2 minutes.  It should bubble and appear to make a glaze.  Add the corn starch mixture.  Add beef broth until you have used a total of 1/2 of the can, you can add more if needed but do so slowly.  Season with S&P.  Continue to let the sauce cook, allowing it to bubble gently for another 4-5 minutes.  Turn off heat and add 1 Tbl Butter and swirl the pan after it has melted.  Cook the pasta either now, if fresh, or while you are making the sauce.
Layer the pasta and Mushroom Marsala Sauce on a warm plate and top with Parmesan Cheese and Finely minced Fresh Parsley.
I edited the sauce to result in a thicker sauce than what is pictured.  I liked the flavor but the sauce was slightly thinner than what I was going for. 

No comments: