Thursday, July 4, 2013

White Chocolate Ice Cream

If you follow my blog, you know by now, I really like White Chocolate.  Yesterday I collected the ingredients I need to make White Chocolate Ice Cream.  Today we are going to make White Chocolate Ice Cream With Strawberries.  My ice cream maker has an opportunity to add fruit before the ice cream gets too hard.  Though I was going to buy raspberries, I have strawberries on hand, so I'll use them.

This recipe is in my homemade cookbook which is a random collection of cut out magazine recipes, so I don't know what magazine it comes from.  There is a note that whoever published it does mentions that it came from their friend, Lee Klein.  So based on that, this is Lee Klein's White Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe.

Last time I made Ice Cream, it was too thick, like a pudding, and when served it was like a frozen pudding and as it melted it didn't seem like ice cream.  I cooked it until it coated the back of a spoon but I think I got to that state too quickly because the mixture was cooked at too high a temperature.  It's been a while, but hopefully this one will work out this time.

Ok, I made the ice cream and added strawberries.  It tastes very good and looks to be the right consistency.  This recipe called for it LIGHTLY coating the back of the spoon and I know when I made it last it was too thick.

Here's the recipe.  Set up a double boiler.  I used a glass bowl and a pot that it fit into snuggly.  Add enough water to the pot so that the bottom of the bowl touches it.  Bring the water to a simmer.

To the bowl, add 1 Cup heavy Cream, 1 Cup Whole Milk, 1/3 Cup Sugar, 1 Pinch of Salt and 4 Egg Yolks.  Place the bowl over the simmering water and stir until the custard gets hot and begins to thicken.  When you dip a wooden spoon into the custard, it should lightly coat the spoon and leave a clean trail when you draw a line through the custard.  This may take 4-5 trys until you are satisfied with the consistency.  Remove the bowl from the pot. 

Transfer to a clean cool bowl and stir in 4 oz White Chocolate and 1 tsp Vanilla.  Once it becomes smooth, place ice in a larger bowl and set the smaller bowl with the custard into the ice.  Stir with a wire whip while the custard cools.  Once cold, stir in 1/3 Cup Buttermilk and 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice.

Place the custard in your ice cream maker and turn it on for 20 minutes.  I have a simple 1 speed Cuisinart model and it worked just great.  If yours is like mine, you can add ingredients to the ice cream.  I added 6 Cut up Strawberries after the first 10 minutes of freezing, but note, the pieces have to be small.

The custard will not completely freeze but will be well on it's way.  It needs to be transferred to a container and placed in the freezer.  You can see by the picture what I chose.  In order to get hard, the ice cream needs to freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.  

Hope you get a chance to make ice cream this summer!



No comments: