Saturday, February 6, 2010

Budget Conscious Families

I am going to do a multi-part menu planning and grocery list series of posts. The topic will be How to Feed a Family of 4 (breakfast and dinner) For Around $100 a Week. One thing I notice is that when things get tight people tend to lean on canned goods, convenience foods, and soda. Not only are these the least healthy but they are also more expensive than meals cooked from scratch.
A perfect example is Bisquick. I have never been a fan of Bisquick (sorry Bisquick) and the reason is because you can make a few things with it. In my case very few, biscuits and pancakes, and neither tastes good to me. I can buy flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar for around the same price and my options become endless.
Here is the perfect chance to revamp the way your kitchen works. Embrace it. When things turn around for you it'll be all the more sweeter and many habits will stick. During this time, hopefully you will add some new favorites to your go-to recipes your family loves.
I am not in a position to worry about all of this but I worry about it anyway and the reason is, it was the way I was raised. I have never been afraid of being broke and I have been broke many times in my life. The fact is, it's good for the soul. With some creativity, you can make you family really happy and your children will never know the pain. Your example will help them when they get older for they will follow in your footsteps.

1 comment:

Carole said...

You didn't put how many people are considered in your "family". I am guessing 4?