Monday, April 6, 2009

Vermont Maple Sugar Crusted Baked Ham

The way I bake Ham sort of evolved partly from the ham I remember at Easter and other Sunday dinners when I was a child and partly from working in hotels and seeing it on Sunday Brunch. I was never really fond of ham until the past few years. I used to buy spiral hams but have found the spiral doesn't cover the entire length of the ham and the slices are too thick. I think ham should be cut thin, which is the way my Dad sliced it. If you have a ham slicer it is the best carving knife to use. The Ham size you buy doesn't matter. If it gets up about above 8-10 lbs, bake at 325F for 1 1/2 hours. My ham recipe as follows. Preheat oven to 350F. Remove skin and excess fat, leaving a 1/3" layer of fat. Cut through fat layer by scoring into a harlequin pattern. Place Cloves into each diamond.
Bake in hot oven for about an hour. Take Ham out and turn oven up to 425F.
Sprinkle ham with real Vermont made Maple Sugar. You can get this from Therriens Sugarhouse (802)257-4013, located in Vermont.
Put back into the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. If you don't have Maple Sugar, use brown sugar and maple sryup mixed together to make a thick glaze. Note the glaze won't work as well because it melts too quickly. Let meat rest for 5-10 minutes before carving.

No comments: