Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ginger Glazed Root Vegetables

I am a carnivore but I love vegetarian cook books for vegetable ideas. That's where this recipe came from. Sometimes I just run out of ideas when paring foods together for a meal. I love this recipe because the sweet balances anything spicy and the ginger is such a palette cleanser. This vegetable can be served anytime of year with just about anything. The root vegetables make it perfect for fall and winter and the ginger so refreshing it's equally perfect in the heat of summer. I try to pick a cool, dry day since the oven is on.
Peel and cut root vegetables to fill a sheet pan single layer, 1/2" square in 3" lengths. The carrots should start out a little bit bigger because they shrink the most. If you have prepped a few too many vegetables, no problem, they'll shrink during cooking and you can rearrange as you turn them. In this case I used, 2 Sweet Potatoes, 6 Medium Sized Carrots, 2 Medium Turnips. You can also include things like rhutabagas and parsnips. Preheat oven to 400F. To prepped vegetables, toss in 2 Tbl Olive Oil and arrange in long rows, single layer, but close together. S&P to taste. Roast for 1 hour. Turn vegetables over and rearrange at least 2 times during cooking, also rotate the pan.
To make glaze. Over medium hear, melt 2 Tbl Butter with 2 Tbl Sugar. Once it is melted, add 1/4 C Water and 2 tsp Freshly Grated Ginger and let thicken slightly. Arrange vegetables on serving platter and top with glaze. I usually make enough for 6 but my family of 3 devours them! Delicious!

No comments: