Saturday, April 11, 2009

Eggplant Roulade

I ate at a restaurant many times, the Brick Oven Cafe. I am not sure it still exists. It's a little Italian place on Williams Blvd in Kenner, LA.
Right after eating there, a magazine came out with a recipe very similar to their eggplant presentation. On my personal index of recipes for my hundred or so magazines, I recorded F&W Aug '90. The problem is, I can't find the issue of my magazine among my collection which is kept in chronological order OR I recorded the wrong issue. I had to recreate this based on what I remember.

Buy very straight 2 Eggplants, long and narrow works best. Peel and cut ends off. Stand on end and slice with a bread knife, long slices 1/2" thick. Heat Griddle over medium high heat. Add Olive Oil and cook Eggplant until soft and able to be rolled. Note, turn using the end that does not have seeds or you will poke holes through the eggplant.

In a bowl make filling by mixing 1 C Mozzarella Cheese, 1/2 C Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1/2 C Fresh but Dried and Crunchy Bread Crumbs, 2 Tbl total Fresh Herbs (Basil, Parsley, Oregano), 2 Pressed Garlic Cloves, S&P to Taste. Beat 1 Egg in a separate bowl and add to cheese mixture. Butter baking dish, add your favorite Marinara to the bottom of the dish.

Once Eggplant it cool enough to handle, fill with about 2 Tbl of filling on the fatter end and roll up. Place in baking dish loose end down.
Top with marinara.
Preheat Oven to 375F. Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly.  Let rest for 5 minutes before serving with extra sauce on the side.


No comments: