Thursday, April 16, 2009

Blackened Chicken

NOTE- Always Blacken Outdoors!
I have used both Paul Prudomme and Zatarains seasonings and I like them both. Zatarains is about 1/2 the price! They are both quite flavorful and I recommend using very little until you know what to expect. I am sure you have seen pictures of this seasoning completely covering fish or chicken and in my opinion, those dishes are inedible. I have grown to enjoy spicy foods but to ruin my tongue in the process is pointless. Here's how I make this Blackened Chicken. Place grill pan on grill and heat grill with the lid shut for 20 minutes. Grill pan can just about become white hot.
Rinse 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. Cut in half and pound until even in thickness. Pat dry with a paper towel. Spread Soften Butter on both sides of the meat and sprinkle with Blackening Seasoning. DO NOT cross knife back and forth from butter to meat! When ready to cook, place chicken on grill pan, keeping lid open. You will only need to turn this once. As soon as the raw side begins to show it's cooked around the edges (about 2-3 minutes) meat should lift easily and is ready to be turned. Flip over and let cook another 2-3 minutes. Again, it'll lift easily.
Place on clean plate. If you are going to cook more, shut the lid and reheat for about 5 minutes and repeat the process. This chicken compliments foods that are sweet or creamy. For summer, try topping a ceasar or a cobb salad!

No comments: