Sunday, March 15, 2009

Escargot

This is a shout out to my friend C. We split an order of escargot at a local restaurant in December and neither of us could put our finger on what went wrong with their recipe but it was clear, it wasn't good. At $8 an order they ought to be delicious. 

That prompted a Christmas gift idea for my husband. He had bought a can of snails for $2 at the Fresh Market and they were in my pantry. On the internet, I purchased hollowed dishes with a beautiful glaze and they were made in France. At $25 a dish I realize now when we order escargot at a restaurant, we pay for the dish not the snails.

Make a compound butter using 1 stick of Unsalted Butter, 1 large Shallot Minced, 2 cloves of Garlic pressed, 1 Tbl fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, 2 Tbl Chardonnay, and S&P. Rinse snails several times and soak in Red Wine Vinegar for 30 minutes. 

Fully preheat oven to 450F. Place small amount of butter into each cup of the dish. Add 1 snail to each cup, shaking off excess vinegar. Top with butter. 


 

Bake for 15-20 minutes til butter is slightly browned and bubbly.
Place a loaf of crusty bread in the oven while snails rest for 5 minutes. Serve together.

2 comments:

Jayma said...

Hi There! Quick question... I do not have any white wine, only reds so I’m curious if you think a red could replace the Chardonnay or maybe something like a brandy? I had a recipe that used Brandy but I cannot find it. Thank you!

Janice said...

Hi Jayma- Brandy would be spectacular. It will carmelize and taste delicious with the butter, shallots, and escargot.