Friday, March 6, 2009

Mom, Will You Make Stew?


I have only made stew a handful of times. It's mostly because I don't like the way my sauce seems to always turn out a wimpy brown color that looks to lack flavor and body. Out of the blue my son asked if I would make stew. Since he was off today and we were going grocery shopping, I decided to get what I needed. Here are some photos of the steps for the stew I created.

Heat oil and butter together over medium heat. Cube sirlion cut to a consistant size, pictures here 1/2 " cubes.
Toss 1/2 the meat in flour seasoned with S&P and immediately add to hot pan. Stir to brown all sides.  Add cooked meat to a bowl and work on the second batch. When meat is done browning, add pearl onions and cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Add 2 pressed garlic cloves and cook for a few minutes. De-glaze pan with red wine and continue to cook for about 6 minutes. It should be a rich color and begin to thicken. 


Add 2 1/2 cups beef broth and return meat to the pan. Season with a bay leaf, fresh thyme sprigs and S&P if needed. Cook uncovered for 45-60 minutes, cover for the last 15 minutes. Meat should be tender.
Add new potatoes cut into 8ths and raw carrots. Cook til just done, about 20 minutes. 








Serve hot with glass of red wine and crusty bread.











No comments: