Saturday, March 7, 2009

Food Network- Cooking Club Challenge (February)

I came across a Cooking Club on FoodTv.com and decided it sounded like fun. In February the recipe I made was Michael Smith's Hand Made Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce.  I first baked potatoes, then made gnocchi by hand.  The easiest part was combining the ingredients for the sauce which is roasted for an hour.

I made a few changes to the recipe, which is allowed. Preheat oven to 375. Tomatoes aren't in season so I replaced half of them with 1/2" Diced Eggplant. I omitted the green olives and kept the 1 Jar Calamata olives whole. 1 Pint of Whole Grape Tomatoes.  I seasoned with S&P and Fresh Oregano rather than thyme and tossed them in 1/4 Cup Olive Oil

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until all the eggplant is cooked.  With 15 minutes to go, I decided to add a Splash of Balsamic Vinegar because I needed to thicken the watery moisture from the eggplant and  added a layer of complexity. The vinegar cuts the rich olive oil, too. Lastly, I cooked the gnocchi and topped with the sauce. Added freshly grated parmesan and served hot!

No comments: