Monday, March 16, 2009

Food Network- Cooking Club Challenge (March)

This month's challenge on the Foodtv.com Cooking Club Challenge was Beer Battered Onion Rings. I wasn't wild about making them in general because I don't think onion rings are challenging. I make onion rings the way my Mom taught me. Dip in milk, dredge in flour and fry. Yummy, crisp, light and piled high! The only place I have ever eaten them like that was at MacArthur Park in San Francisco.

I decided to follow the recipe as shown and to create 2 dipping sauces. My Spicy Ginger Pear Chutney was a very good compliment to the thick battered rings. The remoulade was too rich for me.

Once the batter began to get thick due to the corn starch I thinned it out with remaining beer. I preferred this thin crispy texture to the thick batter.

No comments: