Sunday, March 29, 2009

Just In Time for Easter Brunch , Orange Raspberry Scones!


I used to think that scones were buttermilk biscuits in a different shape until this past Thanksgiving. We, 29 family members, shared a house in OBX and my brother, G, and his wife, M, prepared for us 2 batches of scones. Oh my goodness they were so good! Once home, I found a number of recipes and in the end created my own. This is loosely based on a Martha Stewart recipe from her Baking Handbook.
I don't like giant plump watered down pieces of fuit in my food and often times that's what you get when you bake with fresh berries. I found dried raspberries at Christmastime at the Fresh Market and those work perfectly. I have pure citrus oil (Williams-Sonoma or King Arthur) in my pantry and to get a really good flavor you can use either the zest of an orange or 1/2 tsp orange oil.
This is a simple process.
To begin- Preheat oven to 375F.
In large bowl add:
2 1/2 C All Purpose Flour, 2 Tbl Sugar, 1 Tbl Baking Powder, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 3/4 tsp Salt. Stir using a wire whip. Take 1 Stick Unsalted Butter out of frezer and cut into quarters the long way then slice to make about 24 pieces. Using a pastry blend, cut butter into flour mixture until is resembles peas sized pieces. Mix in 1.2 oz. Dried Rapsberries (Trader Joes). Add 1 Egg Yolk and 1/2 tsp Orange Oil to 9 oz Heavy Cream. Stir with a fork. Make a well in the flour and pour liquid into flour mixture and mix with a spoon or sturdy rubber spatula. Before it becomes a solid form, dump onto pastry cloth.
Using cloth, fold edges up to form a disc shape.



Using very sharp knife, cut the disc into 8 or 10 wedges.




Place wedges on parchment lined sheet pan. Brush with heavy cream and dust with Sanding Sugar (Williams-Sonoma).
Bake in hot oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown, do not over cook. For reheating, place in 300F oven for 5-7 minutes. Serve with an herbed omelette and champagne!

No comments: